Spiritual Care Services
Proudly Serving Eastchester, New Rochelle, Pelham, Bronxville, Riverdale, Larchmont, Scarsdale & Mt. Vernon, NY
From our founding by Lutheran Pastor William A. Passavant in 1865, Spiritual Care has been an integral part of Wartburg care. In the early days, we cared for orphaned children. Now we provide spiritual support to people of all faiths in the latter stages of life.
Our Spiritual Care is centered in the beautiful and historic Wartburg Chapel in Westchester, NY. Each Sunday at 10:15 a.m. and on major religious festivals, the members of the United Lutheran Church of Mount Vernon gather with residents of the entire Wartburg community for worship. Our “Worship on Wheels” volunteers assist in transporting residents in wheelchairs to and from the chapel so that they can fully participate in the community’s worship.
The mission of our Spiritual Care is to provide spiritual comfort and support to all those we serve, including residents’ families, regardless of religious beliefs or faith tradition. We also seek to provide spiritual support to our staff. Our Spiritual Care includes:
- Service of Holy Communion offered Sundays in our historic Wartburg Chapel. The service is telecast to all residents.
- Roman Catholic Holy Communion is offered weekly.
- Observance of major Christian and Jewish holy days.
- Bible studies and support groups.
- Assisting residents and their families in making ethical and moral decisions.
- Rituals and spiritual care at the end of life.
- Funerals and memorial services.
- Columbarium in the Wartburg Chapel.
We believe that quality of life must include the spiritual dimension and that healing is enhanced by hope and a sense of purpose and meaning. We strive to help people connect to that hope in the midst of crisis and loss. We are here to help when:
- You feel scared, lonely or anxious.
- Someone close to you is dying or has died.
- You are asking God “Why?”
- You want someone to join you in prayer.
- You want to receive sacraments, a blessing or another ritual.
- You’ve heard some bad news.
- You want to celebrate.
- You feel discouraged.
- You are struggling with the meaning of your life or of your illness.
Home Health Care & More
Wartburg Spiritual Care Department
The Spiritual Care department is available to help you around the clock. Featuring experienced staff and trained volunteers, the department is led by the Rev. Carol Fryer, an ordained Lutheran pastor and our Spiritual Director. The staff also comprises the Rev. Dolores McKay, also an ordained Lutheran pastor, and the Rev. John Bauman, an ordained Mennonite pastor, certified chaplain and licensed counselor.
Our volunteers include: Roman Catholic priests from our surrounding community; volunteer lay chaplains and Eucharistic ministers – Roman Catholic, Jewish and Protestant; groups from local congregations including Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon and New Life Fellowship; and the Dominican Sisters of Hope and the Sisters of St. Francis.
For a tour of our historic chapel or to meet our Spiritual Care team, please call 1-855-WARTBURG (927-8287) or contact us for more information.
Wartburg is a Recognized Service Organization (RSO) affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and recognized by the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod (LCMS).