The Friedrichs Residence Goes Green!
The Friedrichs Residence at Wartburg in Westchester, NY is not only an affordable housing option for seniors; it’s an energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly one, too.
The recipient of a Gold rating in the Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) for homes program, the EnergyStar-certified development was financed, in part, through the NYSERDA Multifamily Performance Program in anticipation of Friedrichs’ energy conservation measures. The results of these measures are substantial: while building the 61-unit development, Wartburg effectively diverted construction waste by 38 percent.
Today, Friedrichs uses about 23 percent less energy than a typical multifamily building through such features as:
- EnergyStar-certified appliances, including each unit’s refrigerator, stove/range and dishwasher as well as the washer/dryer on each floor.
- Renewable bamboo wood flooring in 1-bedroom apartments.
- High-efficiency boilers and plumbing fixtures, including low-flow toilets and showerheads.
- Zero-VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints throughout the building.
- “QuietWalk” subflooring – 94% pre-consumer recycled textile content and low-VOC cork rubber flooring in the fitness room.
- Environmentally preferable exterior wall siding/masonry, foundation cement and carpeting (Green Label Plus) throughout the building.
- Energy efficient X-L hand dryers in public bathrooms.
While the resulting development uses less energy, it’s still big on style, amenities and beauty. Take a look.